Dr. Julia Davis and our dental team are committed to helping you keep your smile in the best health possible. We are also dedicated to your overall health. One of the ways we strive to help you stay healthy is by providing routine oral cancer screenings. Oral cancer includes all areas of the mouth – lips, cheeks, tongue, gums, throat and surrounding areas. If discovered early, oral cancer can be treated successfully. At each routine exam appointment, Dr. Davis performs a complete oral exam to check for any abnormalities.
Risk factors include smoking, chewing tobacco, heavy alcohol use, human papillomavirus (HPV), excess sun exposure, and a poor diet without fruits and vegetables.
Common signs of oral cancer include the following:
- A sore that doesn’t heal within two weeks or bleeds easily
- Red patches, white patches, or speckled red and white patches in the mouth
- A persistent sore throat
- A feeling that something is caught in the throat
- A growth, lump, bump, or thickening of the skin or lining of your mouth
- Swelling, or rough spots on the lips, gums, or other parts of the mouth
Our team is trained in identifying the signs of oral cancer, and we provide a screening during each routine dental exam. If needed, we may recommend further testing or treatment. We feel that our practice should provide the highest level of care and we invite you to contact us at 804-320-2009 today to learn more about the importance of oral cancer screenings and how we help protect your overall health.